birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 14 Feb 2011 01:30:52 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Feb 2011.

Sun 13 Feb Pied Butcherbirds Wisemans Ferry
I heard 2 here yesterday morning and it appears they may have settled in this part of Sydney judging by previous records within the last 3 years or so. Also the usual Blue-faced Honeyeaters about.
Edwin Vella

Square-tailed Kite Berowra
One adult bird (white face clearly visible) seen foraging at tree top height above our home at Rawson Road. Obvious signs of moulding with several flight feathers missing. Possibly the same bird seen here for the first time late last year.
Carl Corden

Striated Heron Manly Lagoon
One very young Straited Heron seen this morning near Nolan's Reserve. This is the second year Striated Herons have bred here.
Joshua Bergmark

Sat 12 Feb Gould's Petrel, White-necked Petrel At sea near Lord Howe Island
A single Gould's Petrel was photographed on a short pelagic trip off Lord Howe Island today. Also seen was a White-necked Petrel
Jack Shick per Rohan Clarke

Grey Tailed Tattler Mimosa Rocks National Park, south coast NSW
One Grey Tailed Tattler observed on a sheltered rock platform north of Middle Beach in Mimosa Rocks National Park, 10km north of Tathra, NSW.
Mark Spittle

Buff-banded Rail Bundanoon
A flushed BBR late this arvo (at the swamp adjacent to Ferndale Reserve) was bird 110 for Bundanoon!
Lorne Johnson

osprey long reef aquatic reserve
Single osprey seen at Long Reef 10 to 11 am being harrased by ravens and taking some time out on the rocks.
bill mackay

Wandering Tattler Long Reef
The Wandering Tattler is still present - seemingly favouring the wave swept rocks at the very end of the reef. It didn't seem phased by us, but we kept our distance to avoid disturbing it.
Joshua Bergmark, Nathan Ruser, Max Breckenridge and Henry Coleman

Fri 11 Feb Square-tailed Kite Jacaranda Caravan Park North Haven
I had indifferent views of a possible Square-tailed Kite seen flying over the Camden Haven River Foreshore Reserve near the Jacaranda Caravan Park at North Haven on Sunday 6/2/11. However I stayed at the Caravan Park on 11/2/11 and had good views of probably the same immature bird being pursued by Noisy Miners in the late afternoon.
Alan Morris

White-throated Nightjar Mill Creek Campsite, Dharug National Park
Three individuals observed hawking insects. Location was at the large area of grassland, between the campsite and picnic area at Mill Creek, adjacent to the windsock. Time was between 2010 and 2030. No calls were heard. Distinctive fiery orange-red eyeshine.
Jon Spicer-Bell

Thu 10 Feb Painted Button-quail Mount Kaputar National Park
Close view of one crossing the road in the morning. Stoped the car and it came within 2 metres of us.
Anthony Katon

Buff-banded Rail with 2 young Tuggerah Waste Water Works
Adult and 2 teenage birds seen this morning. The first time I have seen rails at the site despite the habitat beeing perfect for them for some time.
Mike Kuhl

Wed 9 Feb Powerful Owl Seven Little Australians Reserve, Lindfield
Extensive signs of roosting found under coachwood trees on 8th: At least eight splatter piles, some with bones, pellets, a possum skeleton and a barred belly feather. At dusk on 9th single adult called and seen briefly. Juvenile flew in just after dusk calling (begging) and showed well for extended period while adult called from ridgeline.
David James

White-throated Needletail Bundeena NSW
Around 20 Needletails observed hawking above the township of Bundeena NSW. Birds seen at 11.07am today
Deryk Engel

White-throated Needletail Sussex Inlet, NSW
Around 15 birds observed flying across Sussex Inlet Road around 6 kilometers west of the township of Sussex Inlet. Seen around 7.20 this morning.
Deryk Engel

Tue 8 Feb Wandering Tattler Long Reef Marine Reserve
A single bird seen amongst the rocks. I first noticed this bird and another like individual on the 11th of Jan and twice since then, but not being familar with Wandering Tattler's I chose to wait for a better opportunity to photograph the bird to determine the correct ID.
Mark Young

Australian Logrunner Mount Keira Reserve
One logrunner was flushed whilst walking the section of the Mount Keira Ring Track which is accessed from Mount Keira Road around midday today.
Deryk Engel

Double-banded Plover, Golden Plover Long Reef
1 Double Banded Dotterel and approx 20 Golden Plover at Long Reef on the low tide this morning. Also lots of Red Necked Stint - hard to count as they were very active but I guessed about 100. Also 12 Sooty Oystercatchers, 2 Grey Tailed Tattlers and a group of 4 White Faced Herons in close company (a family group?). Also up to 25 Ravens sitting on the reef flat (which is what I think was making the stints twitchy). No sign of the Lesser Sand Plover reported last Saturday. Offshore very quiet until 2 or 3 fishing trawlers came in - amongst the Silver Gulls and Wedge Tailed Shearwater trailing these was a single Bullers Shearwater and several Jaegers (distance made it too hard to determine to species level)
Tom Wilson

Mon 7 Feb Powerful Owl Blackbutt Reserve, Newcastle
Fledgling young roosting with parent birds throughout the heat of the day last week, observed on multiple days. Grey-headed flying foxes see to be the prey of choice at present. Today the family unit had split with only what appeared to be the male remaining at the roost.
Brendan Cook

Spangled Drongo Longreef
One Spangled Drongo seen near car park.
Carol Abbott

Fairy Terns Lake Conjola Entrance
Two Fairy Terns were seen this morning feeding 2 dependent chicks on the seaward side of the breeding spit. This is where 70+ Little Terns bred this year. Seemingly there were 8 Fairy Ts inter breeding with the Little Ts. There were approx 6 chicks fully fledged still on the shore being fed, whether all these are Fairys I don't know. There are very few adult Little Terns still hanging around the site that I saw and I doubt if the chicks will hang around much longer.
Bob Rusk

Sun 6 Feb Square-tailed KIte Wilberforce area, Hawkesburry
One Squere-tailed Kite flying over Wilberforce village and annoying flock Little and Long-billed Corella
Ted.Wnorowski

Pheasant Coucal Cattai NP
One P. Coucal taking bath in the paddle of the water (water leaking from the pipe) in the picknic area.
Ted Wnorowski

Australian Bittern, Latham Snipe Pitt Town Lagoon
Two A. Bitterns flying over reeds. Three Latham's snipes flushed of the vegetation. Smal flock (6 birds) of brown quails
Ted Wnorowski

Speckled Warbler, Dollarbird, White-bellied Sea-eagle, Latham's Snipe Longneck Lagoon, Scheville NP
One dollarbird was sitting on the powerline, WB sea-eagle was annoying flock of ducks. I observed 2 Latham's snipes feeding under the boardwalk. Big flock (36 birds) of white-winged choughs feeding near Educational Centre. Speckled warblers also common there.
Ted Wnorowski

Tue 1 Feb brush bronze wing west of electricity substation Belrose nsw extension of Ralston avenue
At least 2 have been heard calling since October 2010 Distinguished from commomn bronzewing by chestnu t'shawl' and 'cap'
Dorothy Price

Tue 25 Jan Sooty owl Higgins Creek Rd near Pebbly Beach
1 Sooty Owl heard and then seen along the road heading to Murramarang. 4 Boobooks heard calling in the same area.
Kathy Walter and John Goldie

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.