birding-aus

Strange anti-predator partridge behaviour?

To: <>
Subject: Strange anti-predator partridge behaviour?
From: "Richard King" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:10:47 +0800
Hi all,

During Christmas I went for a birding holiday to Thailand and managed to
video quite a few forest birds, including some beautiful Scaly-breasted
Partridge (Green-legged Partridge). A pair (mating pair?) came in from the
forest and would crouch tail to tail when they were startled or frightened.
They always seemed to be looking in different directions. Has anyone seen
this type of behaviour in other partridges or quail?

I only managed to catch this behaviour at the end of one of the videos. I've
put up the videos on my blog at  http://wazoologist.blogspot.com/

I know ground-dwelling birds do crouch to avoid predators, but do pairs face
in different directions?

Cheers,

Richard King