birding-aus

Orange-bellied parrots in aviculture outside of Australia

Subject: Orange-bellied parrots in aviculture outside of Australia
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 23:11:25 -0800
I know that Europeans breed neophema parrots for even color variety alone
and most species abound in their aviaries.  Does anyone know if
Orange-bellies are found in  European aviaries as well.  I would think this
rather obvious question has been posed before but naturally the importance
of it is impacting.  If breeding stock is available in Europe then they
could potentially be a great boon to Aussie populations at least the captive
stock.  Personally it is both puzzling and saddening to hear that the wild
flocks I filmed in January of 2008 (about 200 individuals at that time) are
down to less than 50.  I am just so puzzled why in this modern age of
conservation this has taken place.  Anyway I am sure hoping for wise
conservation moves for the future of this gorgeous little parrot.

If anyone wants to have a quick look at some stills from video of my Tas
adventure to see Orange-bellies you are welcome to stop by my blog.

http://polytelismedia.wordpress.com/

<http://polytelismedia.wordpress.com/>Cheers!

Don