birding-aus

An Unusual Oystercatcher at the Manly Wader Roost [SEQ]

To: Birding Aus <>, Laurie Knight <>
Subject: An Unusual Oystercatcher at the Manly Wader Roost [SEQ]
From: David James <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:15:15 -0800 (PST)
Hi Laurie,

It looks to me like you have photographed a first summer/winter SIPO (in
flight) and a juvenile AUSPO (standing). Nice shots and a nice find.

The two flight shots show a bird with white extending all the way up the back
and ending in a characteristic point (due to the way the scapulars lie over the
upper back). This is diagnostic of SIPO. In addition the wingbar is broad and
extends to include all of the visible part of the inner two secondaries (i.e
the bar extends to the trailing edge of the wing near the base).

In 'Oystercatcher2.jpg' there is evidence of wear contrast and moult. The
primaries are browner than the innerwing indicating that the feathers are much
older. The extent of this contrast suggests that the primaries and primary
coverts are juvenile plumage and secondary coverts are 1st winter or plumage
attained in a later partial moult. The outer secondary coverts appear to be
moulting so the bird is likely to be starting the moult to 2nd year (2nd
winter) plumage.

the standing bird is in fresh juvenile plumage showing extensive buff tips to
the upperwing coverts and scapulars, that will wear off quite quickly. The two
innermost secondaries are partly black and partly white, a feature possibly
suggestive of SIPO but in fact normal for juvenile AUSPO. The back is not quite
visible, but it is not white like the flying bird.

1 or 2 SIPOs were seen regularly at Manly Boat Harbour in the late 1990's and
until at least mid 2000, not sure of their recent status there. I haven't heard
of any records in recent times (though my ears are not close to the ground),
,maybe because few people are looking for them?