birding-aus

feral dogs and birding

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: feral dogs and birding
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:49:11 +1000
Hi All,

Before everyone runs out and buys a dog deterrent as Carl described, I would like to qualify his comments - hope you don't mind, Carl.

I have one such thing. It cost me about $40 through the net. It has a truly stunning effect upon dogs, so I urge anyone who gets one to use it only when absolutely necessary, and with careful thought.

I used it to train my dog when she disobeyed deliberately. She has selective hearing. If I give an order and she disobeys it a couple of times, I give a VERY quick zap, and there is instant response (like, "sorry Mum, I really didn't mean it"). Don't hold your finger on the button for any length of time. This little gadget seems to inflict audial pain on dogs, as it does when humans hear a sound which hurts the ears.

But gee it works well, and would be a great safety gadget when out birding in wild dog country. Or when taking a morning walk where dogs run loose.

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia