birding-aus

RE: dogs at alice springs

To: <>
Subject: RE: dogs at alice springs
From: "Simon Clayton" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:56:35 +1100
Hi All,

I found that a loud shout with arms stretched wide, facing the animal,
stopped a single charging dog in it's tracks, but it still got to within 2
metres of me. This was at home whilst checking an unsurveyed patch of
rainforest regrowth.

Overiding my instinct to leg it after seeing it run at me was the hardest
part, but as soon as I turned my back to it, the back of my neck suddenly
felt very vulnerable.

I was without rocks (or chain, good idea Denise), and had to act quickly. I
managed to see that it looked mangy, and probably couldn't see very well
through its bunged-up eyes.

Once safe, I also found leeches on both of my ankles and plenty of fresh
blood in my boots, perhaps tempting a mangy mutt.

It wasn't just my socks I had to change, before I informed the local Nat
Parks officers of the dog.

There is surely some danger with regards to dogs, in various places, I can't
offer much more than my experiences, and to use whatever bush skills you
have, and stay safe. If it means avoiding them completely, then so be it.

It's not ideal knowing that you may have to fight a dog to study birds, but
if you're into extreme birding, take care.

Regards,

Simon Clayton