birding-aus

Brisbane situation

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Brisbane situation
From: david taylor <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:14:13 +1000
As a forum member living in Brisbane I thought Id just post a few observations
- no doubt youve all seen the major flooding and the damage to homes and
peoples possessions is truly devastating. So many people and businesses will
have to rebuild and the economic implications on the personal and government
levels will be enormous.

It seems trivial and somewhat unimportant to discuss birding issues but just
thought Id mention a couple of areas where I know many birders have visited.
The Sherwood Forest Park at Sherwood  is literally an inland sea at the moment
and many  the homes around the lower entry area are partially or completely
covered. The total park area is covered with water. Of course the two lagoons
where so many birds have been recorded are engulfed within that body of water
so no doubt there has been much damage. No doubt some of the special species
have been driven out by the floodwaters.

Close by the popular Oxley Common area at Rocklea is also flooded and will be
innaccessable for some time I would be sure - this is a naturally  low lying
area and will recover no doubt.

No doubt there will be many other birding area under flood - iv'e not been
there but I suspect the Metroplex Lagoon at Murarrie may also be inundated.

Driving around Brisbanes low lying areas theres no doubt that some of the
waterbirds are enjoying the moment - lots of Ibis and herons around.

Brisbane as a city will take some time to recover from this massive event ( not
to mention so many many other areas of Queensland ( including the wonderful
Lockyer Valley which is such a great birding area) - but we are a steely bunch
and Im sure will pull together.

regards

David Taylor
Brisbane