birding-aus

First 2011 bird in Tromsø

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: First 2011 bird in Tromsø
From: "Vader Willem Jan Marinus" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 15:48:16 +0100
                                FIRST BIRDS OF 2011 IN TROMSØ, N. NORWAY

Midwinter is not an ideal time for birding here at 70*N, and this New
Years day was no exception. there is very little daylight this time a
year----some twilight for an hour or so around noon---, and it snowed more
or less heavily both yesterday and today (Maybe 3 feet on the ground,
about normal for this time a year). When Riet and I returned from church
shortly after midnight, amidst a slowly diminishing orgy of fireworks, all
the birds had wisely hidden and we saw not a single one on the way. This
morning, looking out the windows during a late breakfast yielded the two
usual suspects, with this time the Hooded Crow two minutes before the
European Magpie as nr 1. A short walk through winter wonderland---the
temperature is just below freezing and there is little wind, so all the
trees are covered with a thick coat of heavy wet snow---gave a few more
birds: a few Greenfinches made off outside my garden and the reason became
quickly apparent: a cruising Sparrowhawk, the second time I have seen this
raptor here on New Year's day. A bit further down the road a female
Bullfinch adorned a snowy tree, a lucky find, as Bullfinches have become
much less common around my house these last years. (My feeder tubes remain
almost untouched these days, and I saw no tits as yet today).

At the sound the heavy snow showers made it impossible to see far, but I
watched a lone fishing Cormorant close to shore and a bit further out some
8 duck silhouettes, which from the narrow beaks and wild crests were
easily identitfied as Red-throated Mergansers. But no Common Eiders, the
most common water bird here in winter, and not a single gull. On the way
back a tight flock of some 50 Bohemian Waxwings rushed past, already bird
nr 8 for my 2011 yearlist. Not at all bad; in 2010 bird nr 8 was not seen
until 15 January!

I take the opportunity to wish you all an excellent 2011!

Wim Vader, Tromsø Museum

9037 Tromsø, Norway