birding-aus

ebooks

To: "Tony Keene" <>
Subject: ebooks
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:34:39 +1100

Hi Tony,

I find it frustrating that field guide publishers do not produce a
product that can withstand use in the field. My copy of McKinnon &
Phillips Birds of Borneo etc is in sad shape after several drenchings. The only field guide I have that has any kind of serviceability is Simpson and Day, with its plastic cover, which is some protection from the elements. As you say, there are weather resistant papers out there, such as "Rite in the Rain. I would be certainly be happy to pay a few extra dollars per copy for a field guide that can handle an
occasional bath. I have a map of Malaysia, published by the German
publisher Reise Know how, which is water and rip proof (and I have
tested it) which has served me very well on several trips and it is
like new. Not even any of those annoying splits you get along the folds.

So, if there are any field guide publishers lurking out there on the
list, please, can we have a field guide that is field resistant.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

PS if publishers start using the same tricks as software publishers
that you mentioned, the will be a boom in second -hand books.