birding-aus

tern chicks

To: <>, <>
Subject: tern chicks
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:30:03 +1100
I'm with Greg on this one. This forum has an awful tradition of lambasting
people before fact-checking with information "from the horse's mouth". This
footage is quite disturbing but it's also TV - so it's edited by someone who
wants to to show something that may not have actually happened the way you see
it, and using music designed to make you excited. Ben Cropp may have a
perfectly innocent explanation.

This thread could end up being highly defamatory ... perhaps the moderators of
birding-aus should exercise some caution on this front.

Take another look at at the video. If you think you may have made a mistake and
a knee-jerk comment that could be taken out of context, then it may be worth
your while considering a retraction. Ben Cropp would be quite within his right
to take legal action against someone if their comments are likely to affect his
business and are unfounded ... remember, everything you say on birding-aus is
archived forever on Google. It's potentially read by thousands of people and
once there, you can't retrieve it. You personally and birding-aus managers
could be subject to a libel case.

That's not to say you shouldn't question the ethics and seek further
information. But unless we exercise some restraint, there's the risk
birding-aus won't have a future.

Regards,

Simon.

Simon Mustoe
Tel: +61 (0) 405220830 | Skype simonmustoe | Email

Visit BIRD-O at http://www.bird-o.com
Follow BIRD-O on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/birdodotcom
Like BIRD-O on Facebook? Visit
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Bird-O/117732794921095