birding-aus

tern chicks

To: <>, <>
Subject: tern chicks
From: michael wood <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 19:38:03 +1030

Point taken, Greg. I have to put my hand up here and say that my initial
response was based on emotion. We should all be a little wary of doing that,
especially with recent events involving inland parrots.
Having said that, since my initial viewing of the video I have watched it
several times again and I still struggle to believe that there is any other
reason for the chicks grouping together the way they are before the camera
operator and looking over their backs at the source of their concern as they
push each other further into the water. In later shots they are running along
the beach, again away from the source of their concern... the camera operator,
not away from the sharks. I'm sorry, but I just can't see that they are
retreating from anything else other than the person taking the footage, unless
there is something else very close to the operator which is responsible for
them being so frightened?
If anyone else has anther explanation I'd be happy to hear it.
Michael

Greg Roberts wrote: "There has been much commentary about the tern chicks being
herded into thesea to be eaten by sharks but I'm a little concerned that it is
essentially
speculative. Has anybody thought to ask Ben Cropp, who put this television
program together? I've had dealings with Ben over the years and would have
thought it greatly out of character for him to be allowing his team to herd
tern chicks into the sea. I saw the footage and the presence of numbers of
reef sharks in the shallows suggested they were acquainted with something.
Ben Cropp is not hard to track down - his number is in the phonebook.