birding-aus

Needletails in Sydney and Koel at Albury

To: ? birding-aus <>, <>
Subject: Needletails in Sydney and Koel at Albury
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:47:44 +1100
Have been travelling a fair part of the south of the state with a week in
Jindabyne before Christmas in Orange. Nothing spectacular in the mountains but
a nice range of high country birds (breeding Satin Flycatchers was probably the
niecest).
A couple of Needletail records to report as we drove into Sydney today. All
birds were flying west as a strong south wester blew (enough to drop 10cm of
snow at Charlotte Pas - we were up there yesterday just as it started).
4 - just north of the Picton Skydiving centre
about 6 on the M2 just south of Darling Mills Creek (and one more about 3km
further north).
\Probably bigger flocks about but these were the ones that flew across the road.
Interesting to read on the NSW BirdLine report of a Koel calling in West Albury
on Monday and Tuesday last week. We spent Saturday night in West Albury and I
woke up just after dawn to what I thought were a couple of calls of a Koel but
it didn't repeat again and hadn't called again by about 9:30 when we left. I
thought it must have been something elase making an odd call, but it may have
been this species.
May not get back online but hopefully everyone has a happy and safe Christmas
and a great new year.
Cheers,