birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 20 Dec 2010 01:30:13 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 19 Dec 2010.

Sun 19 Dec Stilt Sandpiper (update) T-Section, Western Treatment Plant, Victoria
Rohan Clarke just phoned to say that he was watching the Stilt Sandpiper in the Austin Road T Section Lagoons. So it has moved from yesterday's spot. It is on the pond closest to Geelong adjacent the Point Wilson access road. This is good news for those that have not been inducted as it is in the area covered by an ordinary permit!
Rohan Clarke per Mike Carter

Sat 18 Dec Stilt Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee, Victoria
We found a single bird by itself in the 85WC-9 Conservation Pond and observed, sketched and photographed it from 12.30 to 1.30 p.m. We later told Dave Torr and friend and they phoned us at 4 p.m to say they'd seen it. We sent average quality photos to Mike Carter, who confirmed the ID and said it was a juvenile.
Marilyn Hewish, Grace Lewis, Dean Hewish, Joanne Van den Broek

Possible Stilt Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee, Victoria
Following a phone call from Geoff Jones who had been tipped off earlier by a group that included Marilyn Hewish, we found the bird on 85WC fairly easily, Seemed to have all the diagnostic features of a Stilt Sandpiper, but we have no photo.
Dave Torr, Peter Gibbons

Rockhopper Penguin Channel Highway near Gordon south of Snug, Tasmania
Ken Simpson tells me that a juvenile Rockhopper Penguin was photographed alongside the Channel Highway near Gordon south of Snug, Tasmania yesterday (17 December) at 04.45 in the early morning gloom. After work the observer attempted to return but was interrupted by a thunderstorm. It was standing under pine trees. It is likely that the bird, which was very plump, is looking for a safe place to moult. Better photos are desired to confirm which form of Rockhopper and it would be nice to monitor its progress. Ken tells me that this is the 8th penguin reported on Australian shores this year. Unfortunately, a potentially twitchable Rockhopper on the breakwater at Portland, Victoria in early December was quickly collected and is now in the care of a Warrnambool vet. The next six weeks are the best time to be looking for moulting penguins.
Ken Simpson and Mike Carter per Tim Dolby

Thu 16 Dec Blue-faced Parrot-Finch Mt Lewis site, Queensland
This morning I had the pleasure of having the whole mountain to myself with clear conditions. At the clearing at 8am I observed a large dispersed group of Blue-faced Parrot-Finch in the highest numbers I have seen in many years here, numbering 40+ birds including many juveniles. The grass is seeding in healthy amounts & it appears these birds have enjoyed a very good season. They allowed a very close approach & for a change, were less flighty than the numerous Red-browed Finches present.
Martin Cachard

Sun 12 Dec Flock Bronzewing Salt Creek crossing on Stuart Highway, north of Erldunda, Northern Territory
5 birds flying parallel to highway
Jesse Carpenter

Thu 9 Dec Blue-faced Parrot-Finch Mt Lewis, Queensland
Up to three seen and photographed in the clearing throughout the morning.
Laurie Knight

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.