birding-aus

Channel-billed cuckoo numbers

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Channel-billed cuckoo numbers
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 15:08:36 +1100
Hi All,

Has anyone noted an increase in the numbers of Channel-billed Cuckoos around
Sydney this year?

Yesterday I spent about 6 hours fishing the waters of Port Hacking and was
surprised by the numbers of CBCs I heard and saw along the northern shoreline.
We spent the time doing several drifts along the main channel between Lilli
Pilli Point and Burraneer Point, a distance of about 2.3 km. I heard CBCs at
least 8 different locations along the shoreline and calling in flight. Three
pairs in flight were observed at different locations.

I have fished this area at this time of year, since 2003 and can not recall
having heard more than  2 or 3 CBCs in total over that time.

In contrast we are quite used to hearing several Eastern Koels calling, but
yesterday noted only one.

Regards

Roger Giller.