birding-aus

Puzzled over names in Simpson & Day

To: "'Donald G. Kimball'" <>, <>
Subject: Puzzled over names in Simpson & Day
From: "Steve" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:41:11 +1000
Don. Certainly there is more than one way of spelling theses species. The
hyphenation of "Black-cockatoo" and "King-parrot" occurs in the Clements
list but not the IOC list. The Christidis & Bowles names (which are most
commonly used in Australia) are more closely aligned with the IOC names and
don't use the hyphen there. Strangely, "Fig-parrot" does get a hyphen in IOC
and C & B. I don't know what criteria they use.
Rgds Steve Murray