birding-aus

Shorebirds roosting on concrete walls

To: Jill Dening <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Shorebirds roosting on concrete walls
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:37:17 -0800 (PST)
Hi Jill et al.,

Sorry for not responding earlier to your e-mail yesterday - most questions in
your e-mail I could not answer without wildly speculating anyway.

However, and this is again not based on scientific bachground: I am not sure if
there is such a difference regarding heat in comparison to the Northern
hemisphere. The peak of shorebird migration e.g. in Cape May, NJ, is late
July/August, which is the hottest time there. To my personal experience (I have
lived there for 5 years and since for 3 years in Sydney), I believe that the NJ
summers may be even hotter than the relatively mild Sydney summers - this is
obviously different in Brisbane. But, I believe that I have observed most
concrete roosting shorebirds later in fall and even winter (e.g. Redshanks and
Oystercatchers) rather than during the peak migration, which could support your
heat theory.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass