birding-aus

Unusual nest

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Unusual nest
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 18:45:40 +1100
I received an email from a local WIRES woman with a photograph of an unusual
mud nest attached.  It looks like a very large collection of mud dauber wasp
nests but has an untidy collection of sticks on top.

Her email goes "Just spoke to Jenni who has measured this structure and it is
160mm deep and 40mm wide.  There is a lid, constructed of glued twigs.  It is 4
feet (sorry to revert to ft & in) off the ground and there is an unused
swallow's nest about 6ft off the ground above the structure and about 1 ft off
to the side.  The swallows have built another nest just around the wall but
Jenni thinks they built the new nest before this structure was built. It is in
an alcove and under shelter - near a door that is not used very often, mainly
so as not to disturb the swallows. She said it seemed to be built quickly and
they did not see any activity.
Jenni lives on South Arm Rd, Woodford Island and has not seen anything like it
around the house before."

I can send the photo to anyone who may have a reasonable idea of what made the
nest.  Please no wild guesses - I can do that myself.

Regards

Greg Clancy
Coutts Crossing
NSW