birding-aus

Tawny Frogmouths being mobbed

Subject: Tawny Frogmouths being mobbed
From: Mike Honeyman <>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 22:03:44 +1100
For the second night this week we had a small party of Tawny Frogmouths in the garden at dusk - male, female and juvenile.

Both nights I've been alerted to their presence by the local Blackbirds going apoplectic clucking away and diving at the Frogmouths.

The Frogmoths themselves were fairly disburbed, moving from perches regularly and lots of head bobbing nervously.

My question is, why would the Blackbirds see Frogmouths as a threat that needs mobbing? We have Indian Mynas in the garden too, but they don't join in. On the first night a Brown Thornbill did seem to join in very briefly, though whether that was because it recognised the birds as a threat or whether it was just whipped up in to joining in I don't know.

Thoughts?

Mike Honeyman