birding-aus

The price of Princess Parrots

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: The price of Princess Parrots
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 19:15:54 +1100
I agree with Steve,
When I was doing bird guiding in sw Gippsland up to 6 years ago I really needed to clear at least $200 a day to cover costs - I never paid myself a wage. Insurance is an immense cost to small nature guiding tours, not to mention cost of running vehicles and remember four guides - one from CLC and three local landowners who need a lot of knowledge to avoid sacred sites and inadvertent trespass and damage to them. The aboriginal guides probably devote about 3 days to a one day tour with customers.

As Steve said, the distances cover and the resultant wear and tear on vehicles to get guides to the meeting place, food and other supplies all cost and costs out there are exorbitant to travellers and locals alike. Don't assume that the guides are sitting around doing nothing waiting for the occasional tour group to come along. They probably have some other work they have to leave undone or pay for someone else to do.

Comparing outback Australia to places like Thailand is ridiculous and insensitive. I too missed out of seeing the Princess parrot while I was up there earlier this year. While the cost would be crippling for me living on ill-health retirement superannuation, I might have somehow made it happen - maybe even forego the two nights most basic accommodation (not counting food) at Yulara.

Cheers
Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island
Victoria