birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 22 Nov 2010 01:30:28 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 21 Nov 2010.

Sat 20 Nov Rufous Scrub Bird Werrikimbee National Park
Eight seperate Rufous Scrub Birds calling along the Scrub Bird Track in Werrikimbee NP today, however unfortunately didn't even see one of them ... Other highlights were Flame Robins and an Olive Whistler.
Tim Morris

Sooty Oystercatcher Shelly Beach, Port Macquarie
Small flock of 9 Sooty Oystercatchers at the south end of Shelly Beach
Tim Morris

Fri 19 Nov Grey-Tailed Tattler & Osprey Ulladulla
A Grey-Tailed Tattler was seen by Chris Shinton on Racecourse Beach while on a Hooded Plover survey. At Burrill Lake entrance there was an Osprey also seen hunting over the shallows there.
Bob Rusk , Chris Shinton

Thu 18 Nov Glossy Black Cockatoo Blue Mountains
Three Glossy Black Cockatoos (2 adults, 1 juvenile) were feeding on Casuarina bushes near Cahills Lookout between 1700 and 1730. This area is 3Km SW of Katoomba and overlooks the Megalong Valley.
Paul Nagle

Australian Brush Turkey 10 Prescott Avenue, Dee Why NSW
A Pair of Australian Brush Turkeys jumped into the backyard at number 10 Prescott and up on to the roof of the house. They then jumped into the front yard (scarring the begeasus out of three little boys), crossed the road and were last seen heading in an easterly direction into the driveway of the house opposit number 10.
Philip Wilcox

Powerful Owl Forty Baskets Beach, Middle Harbour, Sydney
An adult Powerful Owl observed consuming a Ringtail Possum.
Ivan Chapman & Mark Duncan

Brown Gerygone, Golden Whistler, Rufous Fantail Southern end of Lady Carrington Drive, Royal National Park
Several Brown Gerygones, one Golden Whistler and two Rufous Fantails seen. Pied Currawong, Eastern Yellow Robin, White-browed Scrubwren and Spotted Pardalote and a number of other species also seen or heard calling.
Deryk Engel and Stephen Bloomfield

Wed 17 Nov Black Bittern Gloucester Tops Road
Happened upon a male Black Bittern on the Gloucester River at the junction of Gloucester Tops Road and Rawdon Vale/Gloucester Road.
Philip Maher

Red-billed Tropicbird Kim's Lookout, Lord Howe Island
Bird seen yesterday late morning by The Intrepid Seven who chartered the flight form Port Macquarie for the day. Thanks to Simon Mustoe, Barbara Harvey (birthday girl), Tony Palliser, Frank O'Connor (who came from Perth), Dion Hobcroft, Dave Mitford and of course myself. Other birds: Red-tailed Tropicbird. Kermadec, Black-winged & Providence petrel, White-bellied Storm-Petrel, White Tern, Grey Ternlet and all the regular LHI birds including all endemic ssp. and that big endemic thing that walks around clucking.
Alan McBride

Little Eagle Glen Alpine (near Campbelltown)
One bird seen on eastern side of M5, about 1km north of the Jim Affleck Bridge.
Lorne Johnson

Tue 16 Nov Powerful Owl Avoca Beach
Went for my evening constitutional a little late last night and spotted this beauty on the power lines about 50 metres from home.
Laurie Smith

Speckled Warblers, Leaden Flycatchers, Red Hill, Canberra Nature Reserve, Deakin, ACT
2 Speckled Warblers - captured on video - probably nesting; hanging out with male Superb Wren; Leaden Flycatchers (2-3 males, 1-2 female). Photos taken. One female flycatcher viewed nesting 10 November but nest destroyed by recent rainfall in Canberra. All at the same site: GPS -35.320658,149.109428. Also a Brush Bronzewing (not 100% could have been Common Bronzewing but it seemed to much darker than the Common). Also seen Grey Butcher bird with juvenile, Black-faced Cuckoo Shrikes, female Gang Gang sleeping, Eastern and Crimson Rosellas, galahs, cockatoos, many small brown birds that i haven't id'd yet - Much Life!
Jennifer Smits, Australian Wildlife Services

Wandering Tattler Newcastle Baths rock platform
Single Wandering Tattler at the north-western edge of the Newcastle Baths rock platform between 1215-1315 this afternoon. Photo taken by Lucas Grenadier.
Mick Roderick, Allan Richardson and Lucas Grenadier

Sun 14 Nov Rufous Scrub-bird Barrington Tops NP - Gloucester Tops area
Heard about five and saw two Rufous Scrub-birds toward the top of Gloucester Tops Road.
Philip Maher

Dollarbird 28 Ritchard Avenue Coogee - my backyard
Visited by 3 dollarbirds using a typical preferred perch - a high dead branch in a large avocado tree. They stayed all day, bobbing to each other when perched (agonistic behaviour?), calling frequently and hunting. One is still here 2 days later despite the obvious displeasure of the local currawongs and kookaburras. I've never seen them here before.
Joan Dawes

Boobook Owl Frenches Forest
There has been a bird calling around my house for the last few nights, I personally haven't heard it, but confirmed the call from multiple neighbors...
Nathan Ruser

Boobook Owl Bobbin Head Rd, Turramurra
Single bird(?) called several times approx 10pm in 2 or 3 minute bursts. Could not be accurately located or seen but seemed to be calling from the same area as the unseen bird that called earlier in the year and last year (some big trees behind some houses on the north-west side opposite where Coolabah Ave comes out) .
Tom Wilson

Beach Stone-curlew Bundeena - Royal NP (south of Sydney)
This morning in the Royal NP, I saw a Beach Stone-culew at Bundeena but very briefly as it flew towards Mainabar (hence a crappy photo as attached). I had one here over 10 years ago and am wondering if its the same bird trying to find a mate. Also in the Royal I had a pair of Southern Emu-wrens and a Pilotbird on the edge of Curra Moors and along Lady Carrinton Drive, 3 obliging Bassian Thrush, several Black-faced Monarchs and heard a Cicadabird.
Edwin Vella

Large-billed Scrubwren Fairy Bower Falls - Bundanoon (in Morton NP)
Highlights in the Fairy Bower Falls area this morning were two LB Scrubwren, a Black-faced Monarch and calling Superb Lyrebirds. A truly beautiful area, with orange lichen covered rockfaces, flowers I've never seen before and trees roots like stalactites near the waterfall.
Lorne Johnson

Sat 13 Nov Black Bitterns (a pair), Pheasant Coucal, Grey Goshawk, Cicadabird Mitchell Park and Cattai NP (approx. 55km NW of Sydney CBD)
Yesterday morning, I had 2 close encounters with a pair of Black Bitterns at Mitchell Park. At least one of the pair was very vocal doing its owl like "Whoooo" call. I got within 2 metres of the calling bird as well as its mate. I also suspect that this pair has a nest but one would probably need a canoe to find it. At Cattai NP, I had a fairly obliging male Cicadabird and was calling for the whole time I was there in the same spot. I heard it make 3 different calls including a "tchick, tchick" as it bobbed up and down. I have previously seen a male Cicadabird make this strange call before and it doesn't appear on any of the recordings I have. It was also making its "prrp,prrp" calls and the usual cicada like song. I also had here a calling Pheasant Coucal (it's been a number of years since I last saw one in Sydney), great views of a Grey Goshawk (a grey morpth bird in the same spot I had the white morph bird over a month ago), Brush Cuckoo, a few Rainbow Bee-eaters, the territorial pair of Dollarbirds (including the one that attacked me 2 weeks ago).
Edwin Vella

Sun 7 Nov Albinistic Leaden Flycatcher Male Sailor Jacks, Pyes Rd., Tenterfield
Correct photograph
Bellingen Birders

Albinistic Male Leaden Flycatcher Sailor Jacks, Pyes Creek Road, Tenterfield
Bellingen Birders came to an open area where one of our members Gary Phillips saw a female Leaden Flycatcher on her nest. About 15 ft. high in a spindly gum tree. She vacated the nest and the male albinistic Leaden Flycatcher took over sitting on the nest. After awhile he vacated the nest and stayed in the clearing. The normal looking female returned to the nest. Please see photo of albinistic L/F in next entry..(Moderator's Comments: I am not aware that a albino male has been reported before however as the male bird does have a lot of white in its plumage, it is not unexpected.AKM)
Gary Phillips per A. Hamilton

Thu 28 Oct Masked Owl 37km east of Glen Innes on Glen Innes to Grafton road
Location corrected . Previous submission had wrong location. Road kill adult. Very strongly marked and coloured.
David Charley

Sun 24 Oct Black Falcon Approximately 6km east of Broken Hill on Barrier Highway.
Single adult bird observed perching on power pole then fly parallel to highway. Observed for several minutes.
David Charley

Tue 24 Aug Bourke Parrots, Black Honeyeater, Pied Honeyeater Approximately 10km south of Cobham Lakes on Silver City Highway to Tibooburra.
4 Bourke Parrots, 12+ Black Honeyeater, 2+ Pied Honeyeater with numerous other species. All in patch of flowering Eremophila with water nearby.
David Charley

Sat 21 Aug Little Button-quail 46km east of Broken Hill on road to Menindee
Common (14+) in taller grasses and bluebushes between salt scalds. Also Stubble quail.
David Charley

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.