birding-aus

They just don't see it

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: They just don't see it
From: Laurie Knight <>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 22:05:12 +1000
I took my camera in to work to day to photograph the Olive-backed Oriole nesting by the path in an inner Brisbane park. [As luck would have it, a pair of male of male koels were making a racket out in the open in a fig tree on the way to the site, so I got some nice pix of a normally hard to photograph skulker]. The park staff hadn't done anything to limit pedestrian traffic past the nest, and there were quite a few people passing through while I was there. At one stage a group of 100 school kids tromped past. Not one person passing within touching distance saw the nest. The parent bird was not phased by the passing traffic. It merely flew 10 metres into the foliage and was typically back in the nest within 30-60 seconds. I got some nice pix of the bird on the nest [submitted to ABID] and couldn't help wondering if the nest was vulnerable to the koels [who were probably lurking with intent].
It will be interesting to see what emerges from the nest.

Regards, Laurie.