birding-aus

Morcombe field guide released as an iPhone/iPod touch app

Subject: Morcombe field guide released as an iPhone/iPod touch app
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:16:29 +1100
Well there are some good ideas for an upgrade, if the developers are
listening to Birding-Aus.

I'd also like to be able to add my own calls  -  I guess this isn't
available in the current version.

I'm not sure they've got the price right - there are a huge range of North
American bird field guides, priced from around $12 - $24. I suppose the
competition pushes the price down. The Audubon state field guides seem
like a bargain at $9, and there are some Peterson guides to families (e.g.
Warblers, Birds of Prey) for only $4. The only British Bird guides I could
find were $12-14.  The only FGs in the $30+ price range are a digital FG
to birds of Northern Europe, and the Audubon combined guides (birds and
butterflies, or birds-mammals-wildflowers).

The only "competition" I can see for the Morecombe guide at the moment is
"Birds of Australia" ($12.99) which is really just a compilation of
wikipedia articles - Birdsight AU gives you essentially the same
information for free in that app. There are several free apps that let you
compile Wikipedia content yourself. Perhaps when the other Australian
field guide authors join the iTunes Store then we might see a drop in
price - but when you think about what you are getting, it's better than
CD-ROM based computer programs because it's so portable, has the audio for
most species, and is access via a touch-screen: at this price it is
fantastic value for money. Let's hope they sell enough to make regular
upgrades a necessity!

Russell Woodford