birding-aus

Abrolhos Trip 1-3 Nov

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Abrolhos Trip 1-3 Nov
From: John Graff <>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 17:16:07 +0800
Hi all,

Further to my previous posting regards this trip, I've been advised that there
are still 3 places remaining on the Birds Australia WA trip to the Abrolhos
Islands. The trip is being organised on a not-for-profit basis by the BAWA
excursions committee and should be an excellent opportunity to see large
numbers of breeding seabirds close-up, including the sought-after Lesser Noddy.

Further details (including booking information) are included below

Also note that due to difficulties with last year's trip which culminated in
it's cancellation and the difficulties filling the boat this year,
unfortunately this will also be the last such trip organised by BAWA for the
forseeable future

Cheers,
John

"BAWA is running a non-profit excursion to the Houtman Abrolhos islands located
80km off the coast from Geraldton. Several places still remain for this trip
and so these are now being offered to the wider birding community. The islands
are the breeding ground for many seabirds, including vast numbers of Lesser and
Common Noddy, Wedge-tailed Shearwater and Sooty Tern. Ninety-six species of
birds occur on the islands.

The MV Flying Fish Five, a purpose built charter boat, will be our base for the
trip and will ferry us around the islands to observe the islands' birdlife. The
boat sleeps 18 passengers in the following configuration: 6 passengers in 3
double cabins, 4 passengers in “passage” bunks, 4 passengers in “V berth”
bunks, and 4 passengers in bunks on the rear deck.

We board in Geraldton on 1 November at 6:00pm and have dinner on board. On 2
November we leave early for Pelsaert Island, arriving in the mid morning. We
will go ashore to explore the islands wildlife. Late in the afternoon we will
move to Wooded Island in the Easter Group of islands. On 3 November we spend
the morning exploring the birdlife on Wooded Island. In the mid afternoon we
will start the return journey to Geraldton arriving in the late afternoon.

The cost will be $770 per person for double and twin cabins, $690 for passage
bunks and V berths and $620 for deck bunks. The cost includes meals. Everyone
makes their own way to and from Geraldton.

Please call Coates Wildlife Tours on 9330 6066 or email  to
book your berth."