birding-aus

Mallee trip report

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Mallee trip report
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 15:30:53 +1000
Hi Peter,

Glad to hear you had such success on your trip.  Yes, your description of
Mallee Emu-wren behaviour sounds quite typical of some of my better
encounters with the species.  I've never had huge amounts of luck with
photographs as they are very good at keeping tufts of grass, branches and
the like between you and them.  However, sometimes you can be lucky and they
emerge onto dead branches to sing.  I would definitely say hearing their
calls is critical to finding them.  They are insectivorous so feeding in low
shrubs is pretty common when they feel safe, and they maintain home
territories of reasonable size, so 30m of movement would definitely not be
unusual.  I recall seeing birds move distances of over 100m before though
it's always hard to keep track of such things in the mallee.  There was a
girl doing banding studies of birds at Nowingi, I've lost track of her but
perhaps someone on the forum knows the results she came up with?  I know
establishing territory size was one of the outcomes of the study.

Regards,
Chris Sanderson