birding-aus

Mallee trip report

To: Jeremy Weiss <>
Subject: Mallee trip report
From: Paul Jacobson <>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 14:15:58 +1100
On 06/10/2010, at 11:40 PM, Jeremy Weiss wrote:

> The drier forests just seem to be so
> daunting when there's no activity and its tempting just to call it quits
> instead of searching for a bird call.
> (I don't really know the calls either so I usually found myself tracking
> down some loud honeyeaters)

Hi Jeremy,

My partner and I were up in the same area the week before, and had no luck
finding Red Lore Whistler along Honeymoon Hut Tk.  Our standout bird for
Wimlett Tank was a Red-kneed Dotterel (!), which was in stark contrast to a BA
trip to the area led by Tim a couple of years ago when the area around the Tank
was teeming with parrots.  Nicole has made some posts to our site about our
birding experiences in the area.

I do a bit of sound recording and personally find the Mallee a bit of a
challenge.

I've put up a few recordings from the area.

My favourite is a pied butcherbird calling from trees beside Lake Hattah.

http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/mallee/pied-butcherbird-lake-hattah

There are also couple of recordings from around Mopoke Hut in Murray Sunset.
We had hired a 4wd for the trip and would not even contemplate trying to access
this camping area without something without good ground clearance. Even the
Prado we were driving was scraping the sump-guard on a few of the more rutted
dune sections on Rocket Lake track.

Brown treecreepers were profuse around Mopoke Hut, as were White-browed
Babblers, Southern Whiteface and Spiny-cheeked honeyeaters.

 http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/mallee/brown-treecreepers-mopoke-hut

The following morning there were two robins, Hooded and Red-capped, calling
predawn from a hill near the camping area, this is pretty repetitive but quite
atmospheric...

http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/mallee/two-robins-mopoke-hut-murray-sunset-national-park

cheers