birding-aus

Chestnut-breasted Whiteface

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Chestnut-breasted Whiteface
From: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:53:18 +1000
An odd sighting here- we found a party of 3 Chestnut-breasted Whiteface at the usual spot near Mt Lyndhurst Station on Sept 16, by the old copper mine. Two had dull chestnut on the chest, but a well marked third bird had a broad splotchy pale chestnut breast bordered by a narrow dark band below. It also had chestnut blotches on the flanks, more like Banded Whiteface. The crown and nape were very grey, pale eye etc. Do Banded and Chestnut-breasted hybridize I wonder? The former is certainly known from Montecollina Bore not too far north, and this year with greenery everywhere maybe they come into contact here, with mixed flocks n known from near the NT border. I wish I'd got a photo, this was one very strange individual. I will also check the calls but thye seemed consistent with the prolonged trills of Chestnut-breasted Whiteface.

Great looks at Cinnamon Quail-thrush, Thick-billed Grasswren, Chirruping Wedgebilll and Rufous Fieldwren here also, good to see the usual moonscape now blooming. Lyndhurst Airstrip was covered in vegetation and we saw little here, though curiously the only Pied and White-faced Honeyeaters of the trip flew by! Honeyeater numbers were amazingly low throughout the mulga and mallee country, I guess they must al be widely dispersed and breeding like crazy.

Phil Gregory