birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 4 Oct 2010 01:30:23 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 3 Oct 2010.

Sat 2 Oct Northern Fantail, Great Cormorant Townsville Town Common Conservation Park
Northern Fantail: shelly beach dunes (1). Great Cormorant: at first viewpoint (1).
Ed Pierce

Wed 29 Sep White-browed Scrubwren Tinaroo Creek Rd, Emerald Creek area, E of Mareeba
An individual WBSW was seen today at the creek crossing 250mtrs beyond the first gate barrier on the northern lower slopes of Lamb Range, in riverine gallery forest amongst dry open sclerophyll woodland. I am certain this is the most northerly record of this species, as the previous most northerly record is from Kairi area, 25km away on the other (southern) side of the Lamb Range. A single WBSW was also seen at this same site on 29/08/10 when I was accompanied by Sydney birder Rob Hynson, at which time I was very surprised to encounter it there. Nice to see the bird is still around, although whether it is the only WBSW in this vicinity is unclear. At Emerald Falls SF later in the morning, a very friendly adult pair of White-browed Robins were busy foraging for its single young, which has been out of its nest for over 1 month & enjoying the parental feeds. A nice image of one of the parents is attached. This area is a local stronghold for this much sought-after & handsome species.
Martin Cachard

Beach Stone-curlew Cairns Esplanade
1 single bird present at high tide at far Northern end of Esplanade at 4pm resting with migratory waders. This threatened species turns up on occasion at this site. They have been fairly regularly reported in this location over the years - moderator.
Martin Cachard

Mon 27 Sep Orange-footed Scrubfowl Mt Low, 15km north-west of Townsville
One adult bird scratching around the garden over the past few days. Not calling at all, and has gone quietly about its business of destroying my mulch.
John Lowry

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia North Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.