birding-aus

Red-caps. at Truganina.

To: "Peter Shute" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Red-caps. at Truganina.
From: "birding-aus" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 07:14:41 +1000
Everyone,

I had a blinding flash of premonition about Red-capped Plovers a few years ago whilst on a visit to Japan. Our hosts were talking about Kentish Plovers, and how they had once been very common resident shorebirds, but how greatly their numbers had dropped in latter years. I realised that in Australia their equivalent was our Red-capped Plover, that ubiquitous little shorebird. I had assumed that it would always be there. Yes, I know: how naive of me. Suddenly I could envisage how it could diminish in Australia, and ever since then have taken their conservation as a serious matter.

In Noosa, SEQld, following consultation with me, our local council now has signs describing the habits and habitat requirements of the Red-capped Plover, as well as bollard barriers to protect their breeding habitat. I urge interested birders to do the same with their local authorities, to promote secure habitat for beach-nesting birds, if it has not already been done.

When I am working in the Noosa estuary I regularly photograph the number plates of vehicles illegally within the prohibited zone, and pass the photos on to council, who write to the registered owners. You just have to keep at it.

How well-founded my premonition was. At the most recent Australasian Shorebird Conference one of the speakers highlighted the diminishing numbers of Redcaps in, I think, Tasmania. It's likely to be the same around the country.

Cheers,

Jill