birding-aus

Question about soldier crabs

To: Stephen Ambrose <>
Subject: Question about soldier crabs
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 09:56:55 +1000
Stephen, thank you for that reply. Even if you don't find the paper, I shall have a good look at the sediments next time I'm out there. The theory makes some sense. Just thinking, I don't think I have seen shorebirds, even Beach Stone-Curlews, take adult soldier crabs, though they take plenty of small crabs, which I always assumed to be immatures. The big ones could probably do some damage to a bird's mouth as they fight for survival. Also not good energetics.

Cheers,

Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia