birding-aus

Birding trip, Gold Coast to Darwin

Subject: Birding trip, Gold Coast to Darwin
From: <>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:41:10 +0000
Hi everyone

I have been following the mailing list for a while now, this is my first post.

I'm heading on a bit of a road trip from the Gold Coast to Darwin (incl.
Victoria River and Kakadu) via Mt Isa in a week (I have 3 weeks for the trip).
Some recent information and advice would be greatly appreciated

I am really keen to see 4 grasswrens on this trip; Striated Grasswren race
rowleyi, the 2 around Mt Isa, the White-throated in Kakadu.
I know it's a long shot but is there any recent reports of Letter-winged Kite
(barkley tablelands?), Flock Bronzewing and Grey Falcon in the general area? I
have read about the Flock Bronzewing and LWkite around Windorah but I only have
a normal car (corolla) and cannot do extreme off-roading (I am happy traveling
along unsealed roads) would I be able to travel west of Windorah? I think the
road between Bedourie and Boulia is closed is this correct?
Any information on other 'good' species would also be appreciated

I have Birds of the Top End by Denise Goodfellow; Finding Birds in Darwin,
Kakadu and the Top End By Niven McCrie & James Watson; Bob Forsyth's notes and
some birding-aus Archives.

Thank you in advance.
Heyn