birding-aus

Attack by Friarbird.

To: <>
Subject: Attack by Friarbird.
From: "Judy Leitch" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:05:50 +1000
Not attacking humans, but last summer I had White-faced Herons nesting about
3m above Little Friarbirds who were nesting in the same tree. The Little
Friarbirds would start attacking the herons from dawn to dusk - all day
every day until the friarbird nestlings fledged. The attack noises from the
friarbirds before each assault also began at dawn. It appears the same
scenario will happen this breeding season as both the herons and Little
Friarbirds are frequenting the same tree again. I'm sure the attacks were
responsible in part for the fact that only one of the four heron chicks
survived to maturity.
Judy Leitch