birding-aus

Re: FW: [Birding-Aus] Collective noun for Wedgies?

To: Tony Russell <>,
Subject: Re: FW: [Birding-Aus] Collective noun for Wedgies?
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:54:05 +1000
As far as I am concerned , Syd's suggestion of Squadron for Wedgies will do me. Though it sounds a little more organized than a party of Wedgetails usually are.

Aerie or eyrie really means the nest of an eagle, and therefore its brood, if it has more than one young one.

A cast of any raptors is a falconer's term, meaning a number of them flown at once, usually two in mutual support.

A kettle of eagles or hawks seems to be an American birdwatcher's term, which I have not seen defined. I believe it means a number of them circling up in a thermal, to rise high enough to get over a mountain range on migration. At places like Hawk Mountain, thousands can be seen at a time.

Anthea Fleming