birding-aus

Collective noun for Wedgies?

To: 'Wendy' <>, Laurie Knight <>, Syd Curtis <>
Subject: Collective noun for Wedgies?
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:48:01 +1000
Does anyone really use collective nouns for any useful purpose? According to
Wikipedia (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_noun#Terms_of_venery_.28words_for_groups_of_animals.29)
 they date from the 15th century and "were used by gentlemen to distinguish
themselves from yeomen and others". There are a few that are in common enough
use to warrant everyone using them, e.g. a pride of lions, or more locally, a
mob of emus, but for most of the rest, I'd bet that if you have to look up
which word to use then hardly anyone else is going to know the word either, so
you're going to look pretentious for using it outside of poetry, or for fun.

There's a list of collective nouns for birds here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collective_nouns_for_birds

There aren't many there that wouldn't raise eybrows if you used them. Some of
them might be in more common use in scientific circles, I wouldn't know. I
suspect some might be in use in falconry, but none are listed there for eagles,
maybe because the loose gatherings they apparently occasionally form don't
really count as a group, they just happen to be in the same area, although I'm
happy to be corrected about that, I've never seen more than 2 or 3.

Peter Shute