birding-aus

Flying-fox ID help please

To: "david taylor" <>
Subject: Flying-fox ID help please
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:10:36 +1000
Just from 'A Field Guide to the Mammals of Australia' by Peter Menkhorst and Frank Knight it looks more like Spectacled to me because of, in part, the colours of the back. The Black seems to have only a rufuous collar with the rest of the back, black.

OK Brisbane is out of the range shown for the Spectacled Flying-fox (in my 2001 copy) but then the Black arrived in Melbourne recently when its southern limit in 2000 was Brisbane. See http://www.theage.com.au/national/black-bats-hang-out-at-the-bend-20100707-100o9.html

Michael Norris