birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 01:30:51 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 15 Aug 2010.

Sun 15 Aug      Black Kite Bobbin Head Road, Turramurra
Single dark plumaged bird cruised south approx 9:30am; not too high up,
so close enough to clearly see that the notched fork in the tail was not
the result of moult. 2nd ever seen from my house in 12 years
Tom Wilson

        Red-capped Robin Londonderry
2 males and one female. First male in exactly the same spot as I saw
yesterday morning. The second male approximately 500m away via the
track, but around 200m in a straight line. Female present with the
second male. Also White-eared Honeyeater, Spotted Pardalote, Peaceful
Dove and Double-barred Finch.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Sat 14 Aug      Osprey Magdala Park, Lane Cove River, North Riyde
An Osprey flew low over Magdala Park (beside Lane Cove River) at about 5
p.m., trying to shake off the clamourous attentions of 30-odd
Sulphur-crested Cockatoos plus ancillary Ibises and Currawongs. It
finally landed on top of the power-line tower, where it stayed for a few
minutes giving great views, until it was chased off to the north-east by
7 persistent Australian Ravens.
Ben & Kevin Barker

        Glossy Black-cockatoo Pearl Beach
Male and female seen at 5pm (male also calling) near the Casuarina
forest at the back of Pearl Beach.
Charles Hunter

        Grey Goshawk Wakehurst Parkway, adjacent Wakehurst Golf Course
After seeing 3 GG's earlier in the day at Shane's Park, it was good to
get another cruising low over the parkway towards Manly Dam, golf course
area.
Alan McBride

        White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes Knudsen Reserve, Riverstone
(approx. 10km NW of Blacktown CBD)
At Knudsen Reserve in Riverstone, a pair of White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes
(one light morph and the other dark morpth), Crested Shrike-tits, a nice
coloured Olive-backed Oriole, 3 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos and
nesting Eastern Yellow Robin and White-plumed Honeyeater over the creek.
Not bad for a brief visit around lunch.
Edwin Vella and John DeHeume

        Australian Owlet-nightjar, Grey Goshawks Shanes Park (off
Captain Cook Drive) (near Blacktown)
This morning's highlights at Shanes Park, good views of the Owlet
Nightjar peering from its hollow (my first sighting for Blacktown LGA) ,
3 Grey Goshawks soaring together (including one pair displaying), the
usual (but always nice to see) Speckled Warblers but no Western Gerygone
on this occasion.
Edwin Vella, John DeHeume, Alan McBride and Tony Palliser

        Grey Currawong Kings Tableland, Wentworth Falls
Observed my first of this species along the main road leading into Kings
Tableland, approximately 1km south of the observatory. Continually
calling, and what a sweet sound it was too.
Ákos Lumnitzer

        Red-capped Robin Londonderry
Near the junction of Smeeton and Taylor Roads, upon Crown Land. First
record in this location. Also, Peaceful Dove, Striated and Spotted
Pardalotes, Double-barred Finches and the normal flocks of Yellow and
Buff-rumped Thornbills.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Fri 13 Aug      Western and White-throated Gerygones, Pacific Baza, Grey
Goshawk Shanes Park - bushland off Captain Cook Drive (approx. 10km west
of Blacktown CBD)
Mark Fuller and I enjoyed a good morning at Shanes Park today seeing the
Western Gerygone on 3 occasions as well as an obliging view of a Pacific
Baza low down in a melaleuca, 2 White-throated Gergones together (though
they normally arrive this month, this pair possibly over-wintered here
as I heard one a month or so back at this location), at least one pair
of Speckled Warblers (again singing beautifully like last week), a few
Rose Robins, Fairy Martins, a Brown Goshawk and heard a Grey Goshawk
beside the creek.
Edwin Vella

Thu 12 Aug      Tawny-crowned Honeyeater Beecroft Weapons Range, Jervois
Bay
Two Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters foraging on the road for insects beside
the entrance to the Crocodile Head walking track. A pair of
White-bellied Sea-Eagles and a Peregrine Falcon seen at the Point
Perpendicular Lighthouse. Strong westerly winds today and persistent
rain kept most birds out of site. Left my telephoto lens at home which
was a nuisance because the Peregrine was hovering just off the edge of
the cliff and calling loudly.
Chris Shaw

Wed 11 Aug      Little Lorikeet Cardiff (park at Western end of William
St)
approximately 5 within Eucalypts near the concrete creek.
Warren Brown

Mon 9 Aug       Pheasant Coucal Buderoo NP
One by side of road on approach to Buderoo, NP.
Alan McBride

        Pheasant Coucal Curra Moores Firetrail, Royal National Park,
Sydney
One bird observed flying across Sir Bertram Stephens Drive during the
early morning.
Deryk Engel

        Kelp Gull, various albatrosses, Gannets Wollongong City Beach
A single adult Kelp Gull on the beach, which landed quite close. Quite a
number of albatrosses with some approaching 200-300m from the shore -
appeared to be Shy, Wandering and Black-browed, although could be
similar species. Also, one shearwater at ~100m from the shore. Couldn't
tell if it was Bullers or a light morph Wedge-tailed, but white
underneath with light wing panels on the primaries and on the back,
making an 'M' shape, but didn't see the underwing.
Tony Keene

        Brown Quail Red Hill in the Cromer-Beacon Hill area
2 seen on the paved road that leads up to the Red Hill picnic area, off
Lady Penrhyn Drive at about midday, also seen on 4/8/10 in the same
place. Also in my previous sighting (May 1, 2010; #13316), I reported
these as Painted Button-quail, but now I have a photo I see they are
actually Brown Quail. On May 1 there were 3 of them, but there only seem
to be 2 now. You can see a video I took here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFzjNtKE_cA. (Moderator's Note I have
corrected the 1/5/2010 entry - AKM)
Natalie Wood

Sun 8 Aug       Lewin's Rail Barren Grounds
2 birds calling about 100 - 200 metre east of lodge at Barren Grounds at
dusk.
Alan McBride

        Rufous Whistler & Dusky Woodswallows Western Sydney Parklands,
Glendenning
Male Rufous Whistler seen, also five Dusky Woodswallows. I haven't seen
any of these species over winter, so it looks like spring is on it's
way.
Mark Fuller

        Rose Robin Pearl Beach
Single bird seen in the casuarina forest at Pearl Beach at 8am. Apart
from the resident Satin Bowerbirds not much else seen.
Charles Hunter

        Painted Button-quail, Rose Robins Castlereagh Nature Reserve
Many platelets around one area, most of them fresh. We walked around for
1 hour trying to find them, but in vain. Also, a pair of Rose Robins
were being harrassed by some Fuscous Honeyeaters near the carpark on the
Northern Road. NB: We also went to Mt Druitt twice during the day - no
Swift Parrots
Joshua Bergmark, Nathan Ruser, Henry Coleman

Sat 7 Aug       Spotted Pardalote, Brown Quail, Peregrine Falcon
Centennial Park, inner Sydney
Pair of Spotted Pardalotes at a very exposed nest tunnel (alongside a
popular dog track..) on the Kenso side of the park. Another single
Pardalote seen Sunday in Moore Park. This species seems to have declined
noticeably around Sydney in recent years. Also present 3 Brown Quail, a
few Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos, Peregrine Falcon and Grey Fantail.
Grey-headed Flying Foxes have recently colonised the paperbark swamp the
resident Tawny Frogmouths favour with several hundred present -
hopefully not the early stages of a serious colonisation which could
impact this little pocket. Several pairs of Black Swan with cygnets at
variety of stages. Great Cormorant 9 pairs with chicks - no other
cormorant species seems to have commenced nesting yet.
Eric Finley

Fri 6 Aug       Rufous Fantail, Noisy Pitta Copeland Tops SF
A surprise to see one either early or overwintering Rufous Fantail on
the Old Mine walk. 5 Noisy Pitta provided welcome views too.
Alan McBride

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers
Club <http://www.cboc.org.au/>  and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea