birding-aus

locusts

To: Peter Waanders <>
Subject: locusts
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:46:39 +1000
Hi Peter,

It's difficult to give an answer to your questions without knowing the
sprays used.  Follow on effects on birds certainly can occur depending on
the chemical and its tendency to bioaccumulate.  Some poisons affect mammals
more, some affect birds more.  I too would be interested in hearing about
the one they claim is specific to locusts/insects, I've not heard the claim
before (though this is definitely not my area of expertise!)

I would be very surprised if anyone took seriously a request to spray a
national park, but I suppose politicians aren't always sensible in their
decisions.

Regards,
Chris