birding-aus

Sea-eagle LIVE - last word on ads

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Sea-eagle LIVE - last word on ads
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 01:38:45 +0000
This is not really a discussion for birding-aus. Again, I find myself boring
most people with the details. Sorry, this is my last word on this. However, it
may help people to see a sense of perspective on this issue which has nothing
to do with birding but is something controlled by large companies and
advertisers ...

The
 jury is still out on this one a bit but the evidence is that there is
 certainly some public dissatisfaction with pre-roll ads. However, perhaps
surprisingly, one
study of 2 million online video viewers found only 16% were put off. They noted
that "this spiked to 25%" when associated with
newspaper and magazine content. This demonstrates another fact -
pre-roll advertising affects people less, when the content is unique /
the resulting content is very interesting to them and cannot  be found
elsewhere. Something like a nesting eagle live cam is going to put off less
people than average. Let's face it, the results speak for themselves. Literally
millions of people are watching such cameras every day.

In the first 24 hours we had this live feed going:

Number of viewer minutes  = 1880 mins
Comprising: 82 unique viewers 148 total viewers

This
 means that, viewers were on the site for an average of 9.5 mins and 55%
 of people came back for a second look. So on the whole, most people weren't
put off by them, which is consistent with the research.

Although we can express personal dissatisfaction, it remains a fact that people
in general, don't mind and we have received nothing except positive response
outside birding-aus.

So let's not make mountains out of molehills. Let's not allow a minor concern
to detract from the amazing work that Geoff Hutchinson, John Irvine and the
guys at BASNA have done to get to this point so far. I think they should be
strongly commended and we should avoid anything that might undermine the value
of what is generally a very positive project - though there are undoubtedly
things that can be done to improve, as there would with anything.

Regards,

Simon.