birding-aus

Mallee Emu-wren in trouble again. Nowingi

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Mallee Emu-wren in trouble again. Nowingi
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:57:30 +0000
Andrew,

It was a result of the original (Nowingi) planning application and hearings
that the species was elevated to endangered. Jeff Davies first put me onto this
(he was the main protagonist, who had the risks to these birds fuirst
publicised) and I got commissioned by Mildura Council to act as an independent
witness in the planning hearing. Whilst I researched the topic, I decided to
put evidence to the IUCN and successfully got it from Vulnerable to Endangered.
Subsequently, I submitted it to the Australian Commonwealth and it was decided
they too would make it "endangered".

At the time I wrote to Minister Garrett for the relisting, I included a
covering letter to say that the listing process was slower than the rate at
which it was declining and that it was likely to be "critical" before it was
listed as Endangered. It has recently been elevated to critical in SA. I don't
know what the current situation is like in Victoria but Rohan Clarke would
probably have a view. If it wasn't for the fact that it is found in some widely
scattered geographic areas, it would already be listed as critical. IUCN and
EPBC listing is sadly not very appropriate for biodiversity management.

As for the EPBC Act, it makes little or no difference whether it's endangered
or vulnerable. The policy thresholds hardly vary. The decisions also come down
to questions of absolute rarity, rather than 'threat'. This is because jo blow
doesn't really understand the subtle population requirements of birds like
Mallee Emu-wren. During the Nowingi hearings, the planning panel was
unconvinced that the bird was under any threat at all (contrary to the IUCN and
BirdLife International view) and the panel report recommended rejection of the
application - but NOT as a result of any ecological questions. If you read the
panel report, you would see that they more or less rejected all my arguments
about why this species is dependent on Hattah-Nowingi as a last stronghold.

Plus, when a State government says something will happen, the Commonwealth are
unlikely to interfere to the extent that one species will make a difference.
Until it really is listed 'critical' it won't be considered a priority because
our biodiversity policy exists only to address final extinction, not to address
declines in species.

I'll be watching this one closely. But as Jeff pointed out, I wouldn't make any
assumptions yet.

...on another note, I thought the government had finally pledged to have this
location added to the adjacent National Park?

Regards,

Simon.

_______

Mustoe S and Clarke R (2004). Mallee Emu-wren; Management Burning and Toxic
Waste Dump Spark Concerns for a Listed Threatened Species. National
Environmental Law Review, 3:54-58.

Mustoe S (2006). Assessment of the Conservation Status of Mallee Emu-wren
Stipiturus Mallee AJ Campbell, 1908 Family Maluridae.  AES Applied Ecology
Solutions Pty Ltd.