birding-aus

Bird Alert - Clearly something is not working....

To: Simon Mustoe <>,<>
Subject: Bird Alert - Clearly something is not working....
From: "Frank O\"Connor" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 14:58:51 +0800

The bird was reported by Steve sending photos to a person near Mandurah, who then forwarded them. By the time it had been reported it had gone. Yes, the bird could be seen from the road when it was there (with a good scope but distant). I was asked not to report the location because of the concerns about future access for Hooded Plovers (by someone other than Steve), but I told them that the information was already out there.

Steve is probably the best birder that I have met. His knowledge and enthusiasm is outstanding. Yes, in future he will hopefully forward sightings faster, but my understanding is that he is not on the internet. He is aware of Birds Australia in Perth (he gave an outstanding and inspiring talk to a monthly meeting), but I guess he was busy in the field and didn't have the details to forward it directly or sooner. The information did not get through until after the bird had left.

Yes, in future Steve will report sightings quicker, but as I said in this case at that time, it would not have mattered what rare sightings system was used.

The situation of the SA penguin, is what always happens here in WA. You never hear about the bird until some time after the initial sighting. In many cases, after it has been taken into care by DEC. This is because the sighting is by non birders, or at least people who have no direct contact with birding associations, or is by a member of DEC who has taken the bird into care.