birding-aus

Raven distraction display? Flocking Goldfinches

To: <>
Subject: Raven distraction display? Flocking Goldfinches
From: "Michael Hunter" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:44:25 +1000
Hi All,
         Over the last three weeks a pair of Aus Ravens has been loitering in
the eucalypts at the top of Mayfair Rd. Mulgoa, acting somewhat furtively. I
walk up that hill most mornings, when they see me coming they fly across the
road from a group of trees on the right (N) to a single large one on the left
and watch as I pass.
          Twice,some days apart, one bird has carried a nesting-sized twig,
watched me approach, flew to the adjacent electricity pylon and deposited the
twig on a crossbar near the top, look at me then fly off. The stick and bird
have gone on my way back a few minutes later, no nest in the pylon.
          Could this be some kind of distraction behavior?

         Also saw a JACKY WINTER first for a while, and a flock of 50+ EUROPEAN
GOLDFINCHES flying in the Valley itself on 24/7.  Plus the usual, Whipbirds
active, but a dearth of ducks, just a few Woodies.

                                                Cheers

                                                           Michael