birding-aus

the walk of shame for Orange-bellied Parrots

To: <>, <>
Subject: the walk of shame for Orange-bellied Parrots
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 21:25:49 +0000
Peter,

Many thanks for your response.

As you well know, the article points the finger of blame at the lack of funding
and commitment from our nation, to supporting the recovery of any species on
the brink of extinction.

It will come as a surprise to most Australian birders who didn't see you
interviewed on Stateline, that capture and removal of a very substantial
proportion of the remaining wild population is going to happen. Maybe this is
the right approach and "scientifically-based" but you yourself admitted on
Stateline that this is a risky move and could spell the end of Orange-bellied
Parrot in the wild. The documentary said the birds were "effectively extinct"
at present.

I think the work that the recovery team is admirable but are we doing enough?
Maybe you could answer that question? What can you do with an appropriate level
of funding? Is it enough? What in situ habitat management has been done? When
was the last time there was any management of saltmarsh regeneration or
ecological succession at the known remaining sites?

If there are inaccuracies in the article, I would suggest you or anyone else,
leaves a comment below it. I can change any absolute errors. This is a chance
for you to both add detail, improve the awareness of people reading and to
maintain a permanent record. However, I don't think the substance of the
article really changes all that much. However we look at it, taking any number
of birds out of the wild now - whether they be chicks, adults or otherwise,
carries the same coarse level of risk. That is, there is a very high
probability that the population will continue to decline and the birds will
become extinct in the wild so only birds remain in captivity. There is no
scientifically-based method of quantifying this risk to any better level.

We're gambling with the birds existent, so the question is, have we got enough
chips left on the table to survive being dealt the occasional bad hand? In
other words, is there enough funding to accommodate a variety of measures - not
just captive breeding but also habitat management - which you yourself have
suggested may be needed so the birds can reach breeding condition and lay eggs.

I think the Australian birding population would feel more comfortable if there
was any sign of a political will to support this work. The attitude to OBP
causes friction amongst birders, amongst developers, politicians and the
general public. I ask again, as a nation, do we give a damn?

Regards,

Simon.