birding-aus

Search for Night Parrot at Skull Springs Rd

To: "Janet Mattiske and Frank Pierce" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Search for Night Parrot at Skull Springs Rd
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:10:06 +1000
Thanks for the update Frank re Skull Springs Rd. Yes, a real quandary with
regards to the 1st sighting.

As Mike Carter indicated, interesting observations re Elegant Parrot. Your
report is actually significantly north of the recognized range for this
species. In fact the closest records I can find to the Skull Springs Rd site is
700 south near Meekatharra. For example there were also a couple of recent
observation (24/04/2010) on Meka and Murgoo Stations near Yalgoo.

Records of Scarlet-chested Parrot are about as far away from the Skull Springs
Rd site also, being seen around Warburton near the WA and NT southern border.
Bourke's Parrot are uncomonly recorded in the Pilbara - with Australia's most
northerly record at Marble Bar.

I know a few others are heading to Skull Springs Rd, so it will be really
interested to hear what they have to say.

Cheers,

Tim Dolby