birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 01:31:06 +1000
Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 13 Jun 2010.

Sun 13 Jun      Spotless Crake Cherry Lake, Altona
I was scanning for crakes at the little pond at the west end of the lake
when a Spotless Crake popped out of the reeds just a few metres away. It
was unusually persistent, and I was able to move around and get shots of
it from several angles despite being very close. At one stage it
appeared on the grass behind the reeds for a moment, and I suspect it
was actually just very keen to cross the path to the lake. I was very
pleased to hear a strange pigeon-like repetitive rising "wheeer" call
almost certainly coming from this bird. I've heard this call several
other places, and never been able to id it. Nothing like the normal
purring call.
Peter Shute

Sat 12 Jun      Royal Spoonbill, Collared Sparrowhawk Brodies Lakes,
Greenvale Dam
A very tame juvenile Royal Spoonbill at one stage hanging around some
Domestic Geese & ducks. First I recall ever seeing in the northern
suburbs of Melbourne. Also quite a tame juvenile male Collared
Sparrowhawk. Red Wattlebirds (barely smaller than the sparrowhawk) were
having a go at it, then it had a go back at them. Darter also present.
Kevin Bartram

        Azure Kingfisher Alphington Wetlands
One bird hunting at the wetland. Sitting on fallen branches in the
shallows then repeatedly diving down to catch something - possibly the
frogs that were abundant here.
Ian Lundy

        Spotted Quail-thrush Spring Hill Track, Muckleford State Forest,
4km north of Newstead
single female in an area recently (< 5yrs) harvested for firewood. Not a
commonly observed species in the Newstead area.
Geoff Park

        Olive Whistler Warby Range State Park
Unexpected and my first record for the park. In a wettish gully with
Silver Wattle adjacent to Adams Rd. Must have moved a little further
north than usual during winter dispersal. Also some overwintering birds,
Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo and Olive-backed Oriole.
Michael Ramsey

Fri 11 Jun      Scaly-breasted Lorikeet Gresswell Habitat Link, Bundoora
Thought I'd check if the SBLs were still about in the Gresswell Habitat
Link, off Main Drive. Found 4 birds+ very easily.
Kevin Bartram

        Little Eagle Docklands
Light Morph Little Eagle being mobbed by Little Ravens over
Docklands/Habour Town precient. Not a bad addition to my work bird
list...
Andrew Hurnard

Thu 10 Jun      Grey Goshawk (white morph) Great Ocean Rd, Cathedral
Rock near Lorne
Single bird seen in dead stag adjacent to Great Ocean Rd. The bird has
been hanging around the area for the last two weeks and has been seen
most days.
aaron ledden

Tue 8 Jun       Swift Parrot Mt. Beckworth, Clunes
Had just entered the park at the base when heard this species in some
gums, they then proceeded to fly low over my head across the track. This
was a very pleasant surprise on the walk, and they gave good views in
their flight. (3).
Matthew Roach

        Pacific Gull Marriott Waters Estate Wetlands, Lyndhurst
At least 200. Never seen so many. HANZAB says large flocks are fairly
rare. Lots of them were hanging out on a leveled area that's to become
sports grounds, though many others were flying around seemingly
restless.
Rustem Upton

        Eastern Curlew Ricketts Point, Beaumaris
Seen by three observers (pics taken including comparison with Pacific
Gull). Flew off SE after helicopter flew over low. No hint of white rump
in the views of it in flight. 9th known record for this site with 5 in
May-July.
Michael Norris and others

Mon 7 Jun       Terek Sandpiper Mallacoota estuary
2 seen
Bruce Wedderburn, posted by simon starr

        Swift Parrot Mia Mia Road Newstead
About 20 birds or more,late in the afternoon,I think they may be
roosting there as I have seen them there several evenings. NOTE This
area is different than Mia Mia Track Newstead.
John Alexander

        Swift Parrot Kingower State Forest
Two large groups around Gap Rd and Pigeon Rd (50). Also 16 seen in
Kooyoora (Glenalbyn block) along Brenanah-Kurting Rd and
Brenanah-Glenalbyn Rd.
Malcolm Cousland

        Glossy Black-Cockatoo Genoa Peak
>From Genoa Peak viewing site, two Wedge-tailed Eagles were seen flying
in between the tree tops, which resulted in up to eight Glossy
Black-Cockatoo being flushed out.
Bruce Wedderburn

        Flame Robin Westgate Park
One female bird was recorded while doing our regular monthly bird count
survey.
Andrew McCutcheon, Rob Youl

        Grey (white) Goshawk Reid Street, Northcote
Outside our place, about 150 - 200m from All Nations Park and the
Northcote Police Station where I saw one in May. Again being mobbed by
Noisy Miners (they are occasionally useful!). I had assumed the bird I
saw earlier was just passing through, but it may be lurking in the
Northcote area.
Lawrie Conole

        Swift Parrot Mia Mia Track, Newstead
Small flock of 4 birds sighted early afternoon in the same area as
previously reported. Good to know they are still around although I
suspect numbers have dropped off from a month ago.
Geoff Park

        Lewin's Rail Mt St Joseph Wetlands, Altona
As I walk around the pond each morning, I stop and scan the path between
Truganina swamp and Mt St Joseph Wetlands on the south side of the
railway track for quail. After about 3 years of this, this morning at
about 8am I saw a Lewin's Rail walk cautiously out of the vegetation on
the west side of the path, then bolt into the reeds on the other side of
the path. An examination of the fence revealed several gaps it may have
squeezed through. Spotless Crake heard near the south platform, and saw
a late Australian Reed-Warbler. Also a Dusky Moorhen with something
large and limp in its bill, possibly a drowned mouse washed out of the
drain?
Peter Shute

        Olive-backed Oriole Royal Park, Parkville
Olive-backed Oriole first heard calling then seen in the bush south of
the Hockey Stadium. Grey Shrike-thrush also seen in the same area.
Nicole Spillane and Paul Jacobson

Sun 6 Jun       Ground Parrot Croajingolong National Park (Shipwreck
Creek)
Single Ground Parrot flushed when walking along path in coastal
heathland. Bird was seen well, both in flight and perched on shrub.
Windy and cold conditions.
Bruce Wedderburn

        Painted Honeyeater Between Clunes And Ascot.
Sighted a single Painted Honeyeater in a stand of timber on a private
property at 3.00 pm. No Mistletoe sighted, so I assume the bird was
passing through.
Warren Palmer.

Sat 5 Jun       Rose Robin female Lismore Victoria

Bob Hughes

        Swift Parrot Pontings Lane, Bailieston
Up to 10 seen in large old Grey Box woodland on private property.
Richard & Margaret Alcorn

Tue 1 Jun       Striated Heron Gypsy Point (near Mallacoota)
Following up on reports from Peter Lansley, Paul Dodd and others, on 1st
June I joined the growing throng of birders who have seen Striated Heron
in Victoria. Using advice from local birding identity Bob Semmens, John
Buckley of the 'Gypsy Princess', Ian & Libby Mitchell who run Gypsy
Point Lodge, Tricia & I hired a boat from the Lodge. Within 10 seconds
of leaving the Lodge jetty, we flushed an adult from the bank on the
opposite side of the river! We followed it upstream around a bend in the
river and watched it for a minute or two perched on a very exposed
branch overhanging the river before it flew across the river into the
paddock adjoining the Lodge. We didn't see another in the next two hours
on the water and couldn't find this bird again when we returned. There
would appear to be at least 3 birds in the Gypsy Point area along the
Genoa River and its Back Water, Maramingo Creek, the Wallagaraugh River
and Tony Brindley's Wetland nearby. It seems surprising that the birds
are frequenting the fresh water stretches of the upper estuary rather
than the more saline lower estuary. Although common in NSW right up to
the southern border, until 2009 this species was a vagrant in Victoria.
The 1987 'Atlas of Victorian Birds' listed only three records. If I've
done my sums properly, this means that I have seen 455 of Victoria's 498
species.
Mike Carter

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/the-organisation/victoria.html>  and
co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .