birding-aus

Beachwashed seabirds (Vict.)

Subject: Beachwashed seabirds (Vict.)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 16:21:17 +1000
HI Martin,
A Northern Giant Petrel was reported from Pt Lonsdale on the Geelong field
nats site:

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~gfnc/

cheers,

Peter

Sent by:
09/06/2010 04:16 PM

cc

Subject
[Birding-Aus] Beachwashed seabirds (Vict.)

A request for birdos who go to the beaches.  We've had a number of
albatrosses and giant-petrel sightings inshore over the past week or so
with some of these being beachwashed specimens.

Last week some of my colleagues photographed Northern Giant-Petrels
inshore just off Port Fairy.  These species are rarely recorded in
Victorian waters, especially compared to Southern Giant-Petrels.

Black-browed and Shy Albatrosses have also been seen with a beachwashed
Shy Albatross found on Mentone beach last Monday.

If anyone comes across such birds it's important we record the sightings
in the relevant atlas.

Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Biologist - Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St.,
East Melbourne  3002
VICTORIA

Notice:
confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright.No part of it should be
reproduced,
adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the copyright
owner.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by
return email, delete
it from your system and destroy any copies. You are not authorised to use,
communicate or rely on the information
contained in this email.