birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 01:30:29 +1000
Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 6 Jun 2010.

Sun 6 Jun       Double-barred Finch Wodonga, Victoria
A flock of about five birds seen in a scrubby area in a gully, opposite
a small vineyard on Felltimber Creek Road..
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Wed 2 Jun       Night Parrot Skull Springs Road at 21 52 15S 120 48 29E,
Western Australia
I noticed the single bird fluttering next to the car, so stopped as soon
as I could. It has perched a foot off the ground in a dead bush. I got
my binoculars quickly only the bird, only 6-7m away. It then fluttered
forward a meter or 2 to the ground and hopped once or twice, in front of
me but turning it's face to observe me. The emerald back flecked with
dark markings, short tail and very stocky build caused me to immediately
dismiss Musk Lorikeet as an option (aside from the range). Largish head
had a greyish/horn/black (slightly large) bill. A couple of centimeters
larger than a Musk Lorikeet, it may have weighed twice as much due to
it's large body. This bird resembled nothing else I had seen, and even
with only 15-20sec (Bino) view of the bird, it is like no other parrot
in the West or the whole of region. About 30-40seconds after I first
spotted it it, flew/fluttered off into the spinifex, ignoring the tree
about 25-30m away. I searched the spinifex for 15-20minutes but...
Clive Curson per Margaret Alcorn

        Noisy Pitta Arundel Street Glebe, New South Wales
The bird was photographed this morning on a footpath in Glebe, Sydney,
by our daughter. It appeared exhausted and could have been in danger
from dogs or cats. It was taken to a local vet and is awaiting
collection by WIRES. The vet reported later that the bird was feeding
and drinking OK.
Rosie & Allan Pidgeon

Sun 30 May      White-chinned Petrel Point Addis , Victoria
4 White-chinned Petrel seen clearly close to shore at Pt Addis Lookout.
Strong winds pushed a wide range of seabirds onshore including
Black-browed (8), Shy (2), and Yellow-nosed Albatross (1), several
parties of Fluttereing Shearwater and 2 'white terns', most likely
White-fronted Tern. Also at Point Addis 2 Rufous Bristlebird and a Pink
Robin (Ironbark Walk).
BA Field Group (Tim Dolby, Euan & Jennifer Moore, Alan Gillanders et
al.)

        Possible Western Yellow Wagtail West Island Cocos-keeling
Island, Cocos-Keeling Islands
Australia's first Western Yellow Wagtail.
Richard Baxter

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>  and co-ordinated and hosted by
Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .