birding-aus

Re: Calcium supply for wild birds

To: Chris Lloyd <>
Subject: Re: Calcium supply for wild birds
From: Belinda Cassidy <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:11:38 +1000
Chris,

That is interesting, but the birds in question are insectivores and mostly
eat spiders around breeding time. To me, it stands to reason that beef lard
and peanut cake do not in any way resemble spiders, nor even the usual food
provided by bird feeders. I have never encountered or even heard of peanut
cake before this study, and it is reasonably well know that fat  is not
something you feed to insectivorous birds.