birding-aus

RFI Trip to the Top End

Subject: RFI Trip to the Top End
From: Jeremy Weiss <>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 20:55:39 +1000
Hello,

First I want to thank everyone for the great advice I got for my trip to
North Queensland at the end of February. Easily the best trip of my life,
photographing Azure Kingfishers along the Daintree river was incredible.

Now I'm going to be in the Northern Territory in June from the afternoon of
the 13th to the morning of the 19th. I thought I'd get some feedback on
locations and where to see birds.

My main target is the Little Kingfisher which I managed to miss while in
Queensland :/

Right now the plan is to spend:
Sunday night in Darwin
Monday morning looking around Howard Springs then exploring the Darwin area,
maybe going to Buffalo Creek.
Then on to Jabiru, arriving there Monday night.
Spend Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night in Jabiru
Spend Thursday and Friday nights at Eden near Fogg Dam, leaving Darwin early
Saturday morning.

I just wanted to make sure of a few things before locking it down.

First, is the Rufous Owl in the Darwin Botanical Gardens fairly easy to
find?
It's the main reason for the first night in Darwin otherwise I would go
straight to Jabiru and just see Howard Springs on the Friday.

Also I don't really know that much about the Kakadu area, is it best just to
take random walks in the area? I was thinking of visiting Gunlom falls,
maybe looking for the White-throated Grasswren but if there aren't many
other birds in that area I might skip it.

Next, what's the best place for Little and Azure Kingfishers? I've read some
trip reports and Fogg Dam and Howard Springs both seem to have them, just
wondering how likely I am to find them in either spot.

And finally is the Yellow Waters river cruise worth taking? Again mainly got
Kignfishers on the brain :P

Thanks for any advice, I know I'm asking a lot but the North Queensland trip
was so good, it set the bar pretty high for me :)

Regards,
Jeremy