birding-aus

RE: Decimal Vs Sexagesimal Notation

To: <>, ? birding-aus <>
Subject: RE: Decimal Vs Sexagesimal Notation
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 17:32:39 +1000
Hear hear
I have kept out of this one but Lat/longs are only accurate if you are using a
GPS (and even then I set my GPS up with UTM which is close enough).
All topo maps in NSW have AMGs (or GMAs under the new system) and it is
relatively easy to give a Zone Easting Northing accurate to 100 metres rather
than try to work out either degree minutes seconds or decimal degrees. Each map
falls into one Zone so once you have that it is relatively easy.
Cheers,
Peter