birding-aus

RFI Alice Springs [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

To: "'Perkins, Harvey'" <>, <>
Subject: RFI Alice Springs [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 10:48:27 +1000
Harvey

We have just returned from 6 days birding the Alice area (4 of us).  Best
spot I would recommend for a morning visit would be the Santa Teresa road
site (32kms from the airport roundabout).  We got there early - about 1/2
hour after sunrise and had several Dusky Grasswren very close to the
roadside and a couple of Rufous-crowned Emuwren about 250m in from the road.
Spot recommended is further over the next ridge from the "tyre in the
telegraph pole" and go along the base of the spinifex-covered ridge North of
the road. A tape of the Emuwren call will help. We also had Spinifexbird
easily seen and several others there.

Can recommend Central Car Rentals

Western Bowerbird has a bower just on the west side of the car park at Olive
Pink gardens.  Found Slaty-backed Thornbills on a walk just before the
carpark at the Telegraph Station (be sure to ID from Chestnut-rumped - not
easy - Eye colour and crown/face marking are probably best!).

(We went to Kunoth Well on two early mornings and dipped on Grey Honeyeater
both days but there and along Hamilton Downs road we saw Pied Honeyeater
plus heaps of Little Button-quail and loads of Budgerigars, Diamond Doves,
Cockatiels).

I can't remember all those who provided earlier info that we used, but I
hereby acknowledge that assistance and it was really helpful.

Good luck
Bob Cook