birding-aus

Decimal Vs Sexagesimal Notation for GeographicalLocation

To: "Simon Mustoe" <>, <>
Subject: Decimal Vs Sexagesimal Notation for GeographicalLocation
From: "Richard Johnstone" <>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 20:38:01 +1000
If you need to have accuracy then you also need to record what datum you are using in obtaining the latitudes and longitudes. It makes a difference of about 200 metres if you are using WGS84 (almost exactly the same as GDA94)or AGD66. It appears that WGS84 is becoming the standard datum. I collect seeds and plant specimens for my work and part of the recorded data for every collection is the datum, it is critical if that location is to be refound at a later date. Our organisation (Botanic Gardens Trust, Sydney) uses sexagesimal notation, so that's what I record, but my GPS has both that and decimal on the readout, so it would be easy to record either.
Regards, Richard.